Wednesday, October 29, 2008

One Year Ago... Welcome Abby

One year ago today, we welcomed our little Abigail Elizabeth into the world at 9:52 pm. She weighed 5 pounds, 11 ounces and measured 18.75 inches long. Even though I'm sure some of details are foggy, I have such vivid memories of that day and I truly treasure them. Now I understand why on my birthday each year my dad would always say things like "I remember what I was doing n years ago today."

In response to an e-mail announcing Abby's arrival, one of my former coworkers sent the following comment: "As I remember the birth of my eldest daughter, I imagine you and Jonathan are filled with a mixture of relief, joy, gratitude and wonder". Very well said, and by a math teacher, too!

As I've already shown, I'm pretty sentimental about dates and anniversaries. So I'll take this opportunity today to share some pictures of our Abby as a tiny newborn. I'm also taking advantage of a feature I just discovered to set the time of my post appropriately.

Abby's very first still picture. Even though I look a little rough (I had a really good excuse), I absolutely love this picture. We were just looking at each other and checking each other out. She was busy wiggling her tiny hands free of the blanket, our first indicator of an active, independent disposition. I'm sure we'll have a lot more to say about active and independent this time next year.


A size comparison shot with her daddy's hand.


Abby had a head full of silky, soft black hair.


All dressed up in her rosebud preemie outfit for her hospital pictures.


After two days of rooming in, Abby was moved the special care nursery to be monitored more closely because of weight loss and temperature issues. I was released from the hospital, but fortunately we were able to sleep in a little pumping room for two nights. This meant we could be nearby so I could nurse Abby every three hours and Jonathan could top her off with a required supplementary bottle. I was so thankful to be able to stay on-site at the hospital, but I also felt like a homeless person since we didn't have our own bathroom. I was trekking up and down the hall in my pajamas carrying my toiletries in a plastic bag past all the traffic on the busy second floor of the hospital. Those days were a blur and are not well-documented. As our little room did not lock and was often unattended, we had to lock our digital and video cameras in the car.

One night we were able to use something called the transition room that seemed like paradise to me. It had its own bath and a direct door to the NICU that bypassed any public areas. Abby was brought in for feedings at first and then stayed with us overnight. We actually felt enthusiastic enough to take some pictures with our film camera the next morning. I left the NICU with the feeling that there is very little difference between a NICU nurse and an angel. We still remember the names of our favorites.



Abby was finally released from the hospital at five days old. We brought her home on Jonathan's birthday. What a great present!


Home sweet home. Tucked all snug into her very own bed. We kept Abby bundled up like this most of the time until she gained enough weight to alleviate temperature concerns.


A rare exception to the bundling policy was Abby's first bath on her little "Tub Cub" sponge.


At two weeks old, Abby was growing fast but could still wear preemie clothes.


At three and a half weeks old, Abby was starting to get a wee bit pudgy. And the rest is history...

2 comments:

Lindsey Oliver said...

Beautiful post. I've still got tears in my eyes. Isn't the day of your baby's birth, the most amazing day?

Vikki said...

Happy Birthday Miss Abigail!
She is such a sweet and beautiful baby girl. She really put us on a show yesterday afternoon. You are such good parents Mary Beth.