Saturday, December 6, 2008

Halloween Highlights

Our Halloween story begins with this cute little outfit Abby received from Nana Diana.






On Halloween night, we dressed Abby up as a fluffy pink bunny rabbit. She looked so cute! With some help from online pictures that gave me an idea of what he was getting, Jonathan picked out her costume and bought it for her while he was out of town for training. It's amazing what having a little girl does to a guy! This was the only time on record when Jonathan has voluntarily and cheerfully entered a Party City store.

Hoppy Halloween from Somebunny Special!
(That was originally the title of this post but there is a limit to how cheesy I can be, even in the anonymity of cyberspace.)


I was disappointed with my Halloween pictures. I didn't get more than one or two pictures where Abby is wearing the entire outfit, looking at the camera, and sporting a pleasant expression simultaneously. There's no law that says I can't dress her back up in the bunny suit and get some better shots one day. The outfit has plenty of growing room.

I did, however, get several "action shots" of Abby in her Halloween costume with lots of different family members, including several cousins in adorable cosumes of their own. We took our bunny on the road, making several stops on Halloween evening.

First, we met up with Uncle Adam, A.J. (Ironman), and Makenna (Tinkerbell) at Su-Su's house. With kids aged 1, 3, & 5, we never got a good group shot. But I'm posting several of these because it's funny to see the action unfolding - masks & hats go on and off, smiles, frowns, looking all different directions.






Abby also got to visit with her Papa at this stop.


Next we met up with Nana Diana at Great-Grandpa Bill & Great-Granmda Barbara's house.



Then we headed to the town square to see Cousin Brooke but narrowly missed her in the huge crowd of people. Unfortunately, Cousin Peyton was at home and under the weather for Halloween. We ran into Cousin Bryson on the square. Just look at his fabulous Thomas the Train costume! Abby was impressed.


Finally, we met up with Cousin Zachary, who's just a week and a day younger than Abby. What a perfect little pumpkin he was! He showed off his walking skills & perhaps gave Abby a little inspiration.



Even though this year was technically Abby's second Halloween, the first Halloween doesn't really count. We were still at the hospital with her and hardly even realized it was Halloween except for the seasonal scrubs worn by a few nurses. Halloween came into consideration around the time of Abby's birth only in that I really didn't want her to be born on Halloween. The perinatologist scheduled my induction for the 30th but I was afraid she might not arrive until after midnight. He made some joke about how we could name her Sabrina. I was not particularly amused. Ultimately, Abby arrived on the 29th and a Halloween birthday was averted.

Since my brother and I both have summer birthdays, the whole fall birthday notion is totally new to me. As a child, my summer birthday meant so many wonderful things - no school, outdoor parties, pool parties, and presents equally spaced from Christmas. Sorry Abby, guess we should have planned more carefully! I do have a few ideas for the coming years that can get me excited about Abby's fall birthday - a costume party and a hayride/pumpkin patch party. Check back in one to three years to see how I'm following through on those plans.

No comments: